April 27, 2017
Facts about the Colossus of Rhodes
There are many miracles of the old world, but couple of had been since impressive while the great Colossus of Rhodes. Let’s consider some lighter moments details for this long-forgotten construction:
- The Colossus of Rhodes is regarded as to be on for the “7 wonders of ancient world, ” becoming erected in 280 BC by Charles of Lindos.
- The statue is for the Greek titan-god of sunshine, Helios, and had been built to celebrate a success from the ruler Cyrus.
- The statue was roughly 98 foot high and ended up being considered one of many tallest frameworks in the old globe.
- The statue it self sat atop a white marble pedestal that was 49 legs large.
- It took 12 years to perform creating the statue, and it also stood for 54 years.
- In 226 BC, an enormous earthquake ravaged the land, which caused he Colossus of Rhodes to snap during the knees and come tumbling down.
- For 800 many years, the statue lay-on the bottom until it had been robbed of the bronze by an Arab force. The bronze had been offered to a Jewish merchant and took 900 camels to transport all of it away.
Share this article
July 5, 2017
April 17, 2017
October 17, 2016