Great Barrier Reef Facts for projects
Great Barrier Reef Facts
Fun facts and interesting information about the Great Barrier Reef.
Check out interesting details and statistics concerning the Great Barrier Reef:
- Fact: the truly amazing Barrier Reef is a favorite visitor location with over two million site visitors every year.
- Reality: Tourism into reef makes about AU$5-6 billion annually.
- Reality: the truly amazing Barrier Reef is a good getaway location for families and children.
The length of the fantastic Barrier Reef?
- Reality: the truly amazing Barrier Reef could be the world’s biggest reef system.
- Reality: the fantastic Barrier Reef consists of over 2, 900 specific reef.
- Fact: the fantastic Barrier Reef features over 900 countries extending for more than 2, 600 kilometres.
- Reality: The Great Barrier Reef is seen from outer space.
- Fact: the truly amazing Barrier Reef is greater in proportions than Tasmania and Victoria blended.
- Reality: The Great Barrier Reef is better in proportions as compared to uk, Holland and Switzerland combined.
- Fact: the fantastic Barrier Reef is roughly the same location as Italy, Germany, Malaysia or Japan.
- Reality: the fantastic Barrier Reef is around half how big Texas.
How many species live on the fantastic Barrier Reef?
- Reality: Thirty types of whales, dolphins, and porpoises have been taped inside Great Barrier Reef.
- Reality: Six types of sea turtles arrive at the reef to breed.
- Reality: 215 types of wild birds (including 22 types of seabirds and 32 species of shorebirds) look at the reef or nest or roost in the countries.
- Fact: Seventeen species of sea-snake go on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Fact: significantly more than 1, 500 fish species go on the reef.
- Reality: Around 10 percent associated with the world’s complete seafood types can be bought simply inside the Great Barrier Reef.
- Reality: you will find at the very least 330 species of ascidians on the reef system.
How old may be the Great Barrier Reef?
The truly amazing Barrier Reef is an exceptionally old, huge number of residing things, consists of living coral growing on lifeless coral dating back possibly around twenty million many years. Learn more about a brief history of the Great Barrier Reef.
Exactly what threatens the truly amazing Barrier Reef?
- Reality: Climate modification is perhaps the greatest threat towards the Great Barrier Reef.
- Fact: Warmer ocean temperatures put tension on coral and trigger coral bleaching.
- Fact: the truly amazing Barrier Reef features experienced two size coral bleaching events in 1998 and 2002. Bleaching had been more serious in 2002, whenever aerial studies revealed that over 50% of reefs skilled some coral bleaching.
- Fact: Sediment, nutrient and agriculture pesticide air pollution from lake catchment run-off normally influencing the healthiness of the fantastic Barrier Reef.
- Reality: way too much or badly handled tourism might be a risk into reef, thankfully tourism regarding reef is quite well-managed right now.
In which can I remain?
There are numerous great locations to stay regarding the Great Barrier Reef, with a number of experiences waiting for you. You can stay on an island, be it a resort like Hamilton Island, or something even more isolated and remote such as for example Haggerstone Island.
There is also numerous hotels and accommodations into the urban centers and towns across the shore of Great Barrier reef, catering to all or any forms of visitors.
When is the better time for you go?
The truly amazing Barrier Reef is beautiful throughout every season. The stinger season is from around November to May. During this time period you'll want to swim within the stinger enclosures during the beaches or put on a stinger match.